Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Saw horse

I made thisI finally went out and bought a circular saw (thanks for the comments Jake and Andrew).

In fact I've had it for some time now, but have been a bit scared of it.

The potential for serious, permanent, injury is very real, as evidenced by the scars on the table I've been using as a workbench, some of which you can see in the picture.

Those first few cuts were pretty educational! That circular saw cuts through wood like a hot knife through butter.

I made a few 'guides' which I clamp onto the pieces I'm going to cut. No need to worry about measuring the distance to the blade from a straight edge or anything, just line the guide up along the line to cut and slide the saw down the rail.

You can see one of the guides in the foreground, at the foot of my new saw horse.

The saw horse is the latest addition to Lady Jane, inspired after seeing the one's Karen was using while doing woodwork for Wanderbird.

It came out a fair amount sturdier than I had originally envisaged, but at least I don't have to worry about it blowing away or anything.

Cutting those large pieces of ply is now a much safer operation when using a guide and the saw horse.

I'm still very circumspect when using the circular saw though.

Technorati Tags: ; ; ;

3 comments:

  1. Fred (WWR)12:38 AM

    Keep that respect for the saw Tim. I've known people with missing fingers due to getting too relaxed with one of those. Been enjoying your entries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just count your fingers after every time you use it. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fred and tillerman

    Yup, I'm looking after those fingers of mine!

    T

    ReplyDelete