Friday, January 13, 2006

Insulation experiments

I'm fairly pleased with the results of my recent experiments with paints and insulation in the aft accommodation space.

Insulation experiments
Here you see three separate trial patches of insulation, applied to the ceiling and to the spaces between the ribs which form the shape of the outer hull.

Thirty three pounds worth (US$ 58.00) of insulation does not go far on Lady Jane, though buying in bulk will be considerably cheaper!

As I suspected, the insulation did not stick to the 'tacky' bitumen which covers so much of the steel down there.

What did work well, far better than expected, was coating the 'tacky' bitumen with bitumen paint, which dried out to a smooth finish. It took a while to dry out, mainly on account of the cold I suspect.

The insulation I sprayed on the dried bitumen paint stuck really well, such that I can't prise it off without resorting to tools.

Based the experiments I've done, I'm planning on coating any untreated, or rusty, steel with Rustroy, giving all the steel a couple of coats of bitumen paint then, after attaching all the wooden supports for the plywood skin, giving everything a good coating of insulation.

In total I have space for up to four inches of insulation, though I suspect insulation that thick will prove to be very expensive so, depending on my progress and costs, I'll probably settle for around about two inches or so.

Technorati Tags: ; ; ;

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:22 AM

    What is the purpose of spraying foam in your ship? I am an foam insulation contractor in the US and was intrigued by your blog and how foam helps your ship.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi anonymous

    The foam was for insulation. I wanted to test to make sure all would be well with my choice of spray foam insulation before committing the big bucks.

    Here's where I got to before other projects took priority.

    http://timzim.blogspot.com/2006/09/more-insulation.html

    I'm pretty pleased with the results so far.

    ReplyDelete