Friday, January 20, 2006

Engine work


Industrie D6DI've finally got around to doing some work on Lady Jane's main engine, which is a big old Industrie six cylinder diesel, complete with turbocharger and intercooler.

The main engine block, which you can see in the picture, is supported by a myriad of pipes, pumps and valves. These are, in turn, variously supported with backup systems. All in all making the engine room an 'interesting' place to work.

What finally precipitated getting some work done was the fact that seawater, which would normally run through the engine freshwater system to keep it cool, was not flowing at all. In the event, once found with Robin's help, the problem was obvious, and simple to fix. We had moved a generator as part of the bulkhead project, this had shifted slightly since last running the engine and jammed a pulley on the main seawater pump, which prevented it from running.

A long running issue I've had has been that fuel was not being pumped from a diesel return tank which is installed below the engine. This Robin and I also got stuck into and fixed, though neither of us are sure exactly what caused the problem in the first place. We think it could either have been air leaking into the return pipe above the tank, something blocking the pipe which cleared when we uncoupled it, or something jammed in the pump itself.

All in all, the engine and it's supporting systems are running perfectly fine now, though the engine, gearbox and turbo all need a good service sometime soon.

I still have to give the engine room a good clean, and touch up the paintwork. Once that's done we'll be able to get the generators driven by the main engine back online.

Technorati Tags: ; ; ;

No comments:

Post a Comment