Monday, January 09, 2006

Down there


Down thereAnother grim picture, I know.

Rain and generally miserable weather gives me the opportunity to get going with the refurbishment of the aft accommodation space.

I've been slow getting going with this, simply because I've been trying to get as much done on the outside as possible, and have not really had a clear idea of just how to go about this bit.

I've mulled it over and now know I need to start with an outer 'skin' of plywood covering both the ceiling and sides. This outer skin will be over a layer of insulation. I'm also planning on replacing the floor, which is filthy and smells, hopefully lowering it a few inches to give me some much needed headroom.

Anyway, before I can fit anything, the metal needs rust busting, treating and painting. As you can see from the picture, I've made a start on the ceiling which is straightforward enough, though a bit messy to do, the sides represent more of a challenge though.

The basic problem I have with the sides is that a substantial amount of the steel is covered with a coat of bitumen, which is tacky to touch. Removing it will be very difficult, if not impossible.

After doing boat insulation research on the internet, I'm intending to insulate the steel using spray foam insulation from Spray Insulation Ltd, but I don't think the insulation will stick to the tacky bitumen.

I will try to seal the tacky bitumen with bitumen paint, which should hopefully set over the base, giving me a good surface to apply the insulation to.

I also have a small experimentation pack of insulation on it's way, and will soon find out what works, else I'll need to come up with a different plan.

Technorati Tags: ; ; ;

No comments:

Post a Comment