Monday, December 19, 2005
A few problems
I've now started painting the wheelhouse white.
The difference, even with only a first coat, is amazing.
Things have been going too well for me just recently, but all that has suddenly changed.
Just as I was finishing painting with the batch of Hempel white epoxy paint I had mixed, the temperature dropped to below freezing. Common wisdom from the folks at the marina across from Lady Jane is that the paint won't set now, as it was too cold. I'm hoping otherwise.
To add insult to injury, I also discovered that my workbench had disappeared.
What I had done the previous day, before the tide went out, was to move the platform right to the back of the boat, to stop the tyres, which I'm using as counter weights to allow the platform to move up and down with the tide, from messing up that day's fresh paint on the side.
I don't know for sure, but I think the platform must have ended up under Lady Jane's stern, when the tide came in the workbench must have somehow got jammed underneath, then pushed over.
Once the workbench was in the mud, the platform must have settled on top of it on the next tide, as all I could see was a small patch of blue in the deep, thick, black mud.
Unfortunately the tide was coming back in, so I could not reach in to get a rope around the workbench to start recovering it, or even get a photo of it for that matter.
Anyway, the platform is in such a position that I should be able to reach the workbench next time I'm there and the tide is out, though I already know this will not be easy, as the bench appears to have been squished into the mud sideways and it's pretty heavy.
Technorati Tags: Lady Jane; Boats; Boat; Trawler