Friday, November 11, 2005
I've been working on cleaning up and painting the steering room, which is tucked away in Lady Jane's stern. This room also doubles as a store room which was hastily cleared when we started patching the holes in the back deck.
In the grand scheme of things, once the welding on the bulkhead is complete, we can start work on the anchor project, which means I need to clear out the forward storage hold in preparation for cutting and welding all the necessary stuff to install the anchor and winch. All that stuff in the hold has to go somewhere.
Here you can see a picture of Lady Jane's steering gear.
Right at the top of the picture you can see the motor for the hydraulic system, with the pump itself just behind it. With this system Lady Jane can be steered electronically, though I've still got to get one of the solenoids sorted out. At the moment, using the electronics, she can only make turns to starboard.
Looking at the state of the antiquated auto pilot system, I'd be surprised if it worked at all. To be honest I've no idea how to test it, asides for simply giving it a whirl when I finally get to take Lady Jane out for a voyage, possibly during summer 2006.
You can also only just see some grey hydraulic pipes all the way to the left of the picture, these run up to the wheelhouse and provide the steering via the wheel in the bridge. This system works perfectly fine, and is what we used when we brought the boat up from Southampton to Fareham almost a year ago now.
I also have a huge big lever which fits over the rudder axis - the big brown lump you can see at the front left of the picture, this can then be used to steer Lady Jane manually if all else fails. I'm not so sure I'd like to try it though.
Technorati Tags: Lady Jane; Boats; Steering; Trawler