Thursday, November 03, 2005

Faithful donkey


I took the opportunity of a break in the recent wet, windy weather to hose down my deck with salt water, using the bilge pump and a new hose I've bought. Salt water is apparently good for the deck planks.

Just as I was finishing hosing the deck, Donkey enginethe donkey engine started making even more noise than usual. A quick dash down into the engine room showed the exhaust manifold had worked it's way loose.

A loose exhaust manifold presents no real problems to fix, but closer inspection of the front exhaust port reveals a build up of carbon which should not be there. It looks to me like the exhaust valve is probably at fault, which would explain the reduced compression in the front cylinder that I've been aware of ever since buying Lady Jane.

My thinking is, as the exhaust manifold is off anyway, it's time to give my faithful old donkey engine some tender loving care, and sort out the exhaust valve issue at the same time. It is, after all, one of the ways I produce my electricity.

For those who are interested, the donkey engine is an air cooled, two cylinder 21.5 HP Lister. Although a little noisy, it has so far proved to be very reliable.

Hopefully, as so often seems to be the case, this does not lead to more problems.

Technorati Tags: ; ; ;

3 comments:

  1. Lister engines are the duck's guts. They weigh a ton, which wouldn't be a concern for you, but they last forever and are fairly economical. I don't know if the company is still going - I've never seen a new or even fairly new Lister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dirk.

    I'm pretty reliant on my Lister, so need to take care of it.

    So far as I can tell, there seems to be no problem with spares at least.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I remember correctly the lister and petter engines were used in all the building site dumpers, hoists and winches in the seventies and there are still plenty about second hand. The A.V.A one and two series seems to ring a bell, good engines and easy to work on but noisey.

    ReplyDelete