Thursday, October 27, 2005

Trolley commissioned


The trolley has now been commissioned and it passed Trolley commissionedit's initial test with flying colours.

The next test will no doubt be Robin's close inspection of my welding which, even though I say it myself, is pretty damn good!

Here you see it earning it's keep already, with yet another load of stuff for the boat.

I can already see that this is going to be one of those times where I'll be thinking 'why didn't I do this sooner'.

I did start work on a drawbar, but wanted to do some trials to see how it handled first.

Unsurprisingly it handles like a shopping trolley, so maybe I'll switch the back wheels to fixed wheels rather than castors. If I do, I'll will loose the turning capability, which I quite like on the confined dock.

Shifting loads like you see is effortless except, I've discovered, when trying to cut through a sandy bit.

Technorati Tags: ; ;

2 comments:

  1. Get the castors in line the way you would have fixed wheels, then weld a small piece of 16 guage flat steel to the fixed base of each rear castor. Weld another piece of 16 guage on the rotating part of each castor in line with the fixed piece. Drill a 1/4" hole through each pair and put a lynch pin through them. Fixed wheels for general work and castors for the tight spots. Don't get the castors too hot or you'll bugger them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dirk

    Thanks, The pin is an excellent idea. The castor swivels on a plastic plate, so welding is out.

    I'll just drill straight through the thing and drop in a pin, fastened with a splitpin.

    ReplyDelete