Tuesday, September 06, 2005

More mess


It's inevitable on Lady Jane - One thing that needs fixing leads to another, which leads to another and so on.

To be honest, the back deck did not look so bad to me, so I started work on what I thought it would be a fairly straightforward task, quickly achieved.

The deck was to be a sort of proving ground before I started on the more committing, and expensive, task of properly priming and painting the hull. Also, having that deck painted green would help make Lady Jane look so much better.

The holes in the deck under all the rust was a bit of a surprise, but I'm making progress there. Now though, I've had to take down the ceiling in the galley, so as to make cutting and welding the holes above the galley safe. The last thing I need is a fire on Lady Jane.

After unscrewing what felt like about a squillion screws, (A squillion, is there such a number? It may have been more) More messthe extent of the mess is finally revealed.

One of the last places on Lady Jane that was reasonably clean and comfortable is now starting to look worse than a building site.

I was hoping I could unscrew the ceiling, sort out the holes then put it back up. Not so, there is quite a bit of rust there, and the underlying wood was rotten. I can see some evidence of rust down the side walls as well....

I've got too much else to do, so sorting out the rust in the galley will just have to wait. I'm thinking I'll fix the holes, slap on some primer, then bodge some sort of ceiling back up as soon as possible.

Technorati Tags: ; ; ;

No comments:

Post a Comment