Monday, September 26, 2005
Galley roof repairs
The job of welding the holes in the galley roof is well under way.
Here you see smoke drifting across the galley roof while Robin welds on the deck above.
Welding produces a distinctive, but not unpleasant, smell.
So far we have patched four of the holes in the galley roof. After some discussion I opted to weld patches over the holes without cutting back the rusted metal and cutting plates to fit the holes as we have done elsewhere, simply because I did not want to create any more havoc in the galley than strictly necessary.
The issue of cutting into the galley with oxy-acetalene is that it is very messy, combined with a risk of fire, with hot melted metal flying all over the place.
Right now I have two more holes in the galley roof to weld over, then a vent to the galley and a vent to the shower room to replace and I'll finally be able to prime the back deck.
Technorati Tags: Lady Jane; Boats; Galley; Welding