Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Fridge ventilation


It has been over two weeks since I was last on the boat, a little longer than I anticipated. In that two weeks, the fridge has been left running in less than optimum conditions, under a board with no ventilation holes.

Fridge insulationWhen I got on board, the battery voltage was at 23.8 volts, a little below what I had expected (24.5 volts), Though the fridge is designed to run under a counter top with no ventilation holes above the back of the fridge, I suspect this is not too efficient.

The board was there simply to protect the top of the fridge from the inevitable grimy bits and pieces that get left lying about. I never put any ventilation holes in because I was always busy with other stuff and was not really using the fridge anyway.

Now, as I had originally intended, the fridge is packed in polystyrene to provide better insulation, both on the sides and on the top, with more polystyrene against the steel wall behind the fridge. The board above the fridge also has a proper ventilation slot cut into the back of it.

Soon, I intend to install a freezer below the fridge, with the fridge in the space you can see above it. I believe that, properly insulated, I should be able to run both of these comfortably using only the wind generator. That is providing the wind co-operates of course, Lady Jane is very sheltered where she is currently berthed at Fareham.

I'll know soon enough if the insulation and proper ventilation of the fridge has done the trick.

Normally on a boat so much fridge/freezer space is extravagant, but this is our house by the sea, so why not make it as comfortable as possible?

Note that the scorch mark you can see above the fridge is the result of welding a hole in the steel wall behind the fridge closed. I need to do more work on this space, including painting, before the freezer can finally be installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment