Thursday, February 03, 2005

All go for the rib


I took the rib, as yet un-christened, into 'The Outboard Centre', as the mechanic who looked at the engine for me before I bought it had said the engine had some 'issues' and needed looking at.

"Hmm", the mechanic from 'The Outboard Centre' said when he first looked at my engine, "It is old".

In the event, after a change of spark plugs and a clean out through the carburetors with some mysterious 'gunk' from a spray can, the engine ran like a treat, an old treat admittedly. I was incredibly relieved.

I also bought a fuel can and the necessary pipework to connect it to the engine, as the fuel tanks on board the rib need work, so as to be able to get the rib in the water soonest.

Now, the only thing I have to do before putting the rib into the water is to sort out the left hand self drain. As you can see from the picture there are two flexible tubes, 'elephant trunks', the right hand one is down and the left up, showing where it has rotted through.

When the rib is travelling through the water the rib lifts up high in the water on it's chines, the 'fluting' you see down the length Back of the ribof a rib's hull, with the deck sloping down towards the back. In this position any water, such as splashes from waves, which gets into the rib simply drains straight back out through the self drains which are left trailing down behind the boat. When slowing, or stopped, the trunks are hauled up, preventing water from getting into the boat.

With a drain rotted through, the rib would fill with water. Not really a problem, as the rib will not sink, but I hate getting my feet wet!

Fixing the self drain is not the end of the rib related work to be done, as you can no doubt judge by the pictures, but at least Kate and I get to go for a spin in it and have us some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment