Friday, January 28, 2005

Lady Jane in Fareham

The picture you can see is Lady Jane nestled up against the wharf at the Lafarge yard in Fareham. I'm very grateful to Robin who arranged for this berth as, although its at an aggregate yard which can be a bit dusty, the location is secure and pretty idyllic.

Just across from Lady Jane is a small marina, which butts up against a picturesque park while directly across the creek is a well maintained golf course. Outside the yard, and a few hundred feet down the road, is a public slipway, handily located near a wonderful looking pub, The Castle In the Air, right by the waterside. Hmm, I'll have to investigate this pub further sometime soon and report back.

At low tide, Lady Jane is left sitting high and dry out of the water, the photo was taken as the tide was going out and Lady Jane was just squishing down into the mud, bear in mind she weighs 150 odd tonnes so it's a pretty good squish. Being on Lady Jane as she settles into the mud is a little disconcerting at the moment, as she sits differently to when she is afloat. I need about 5 tonnes of ballast sometime soon,to get that bow down to where it should be.

I've been meaning to buy a fishing rod and some tackle to have a go at catching some dinner when I'm aboard, and the tide is right. I often see people fishing across the creek from the edge of the golf course. My problem here is, although I've been fishing in all sorts of places in the world, I don't really know much about the fish caught here. The only way to learn is to jump in at the deep end, so to speak, I suppose.

Anyway, although we have not really been there long, Fareham so far seems to be a lovely place and I'm looking forward to exploring the area a little more and getting to know a few people locally. This is, after all, what the dream is all about - travelling to new places and being with friends both old and new.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting blog. Since I hanker after doing what you have done, I have two questions:
    1) How skilled were you before you started this? It seems you know a bit about diesel mechanic'ing and also some basic skills like welding. Did you acquire these before or after you bought LJ?
    2) Is this your full time job, or do you work as well?
    3) If you don't work, how much is this costing you? I mean, how long can you keep it up?
    (I don't mean to pry into your finanicals, but skills+finances go to the heart of the matter when considering a venture of this nature, don't they?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Cayuga. Your questions are answered in a new blog entry.

    The skills and financials are certainly important but I'm finding this is not just a project, or a hobby, but a way of life. If you are not prepared to live the experience then things just won't work out.

    ReplyDelete